The term "we" or "us" means The SCEA and NEA.
- The term "you" means a current or former of The SCEA/NEA member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a product or service.
- The term "personal information" means any piece of information that on its own can specifically identify a current or former member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a product or service. This would include, but is not limited to, full name, postal address, e-mail address, social security number, or financial information.
- The term "The SCEA website" means The SCEA's external website located at: www.thescea.org, thescea.groupsite.org and any future websites that we may develop.
- The term "The SCEA/NEA Intranet" means The SCEA/NEA's internal, private, and secured website for local leaders and staff.
- The term "The SCEA-related organizations" means
- THE SCEA/NEA's Member Benefits Corporation, THE SCEA, NEA Member Insurance Trust, NEA Foundation, NEA Health Information Network, and any other entity created by THE SCEA or NEA.
- The term "third party" means a legal entity that is separate and independent from The SCEA, NEA, its state and local affiliates, or any THE SCEA/NEA-related organization.
- The term "cookie" means a small file that is placed on your computer that allows a website to store, and sometimes track, information about how you use that website.
- The term "discussion forum" means an asynchronous website component that enables users to exchange ideas by posting questions and answers on relevant subjects. Discussion forums are also commonly referred to as "discussion groups," "discussion boards," "message boards," "bulletin boards," and "online forums."
III. Personal Information Collected
We may collect personal information about you from the following sources:
- Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us on your membership application and other The SCEA/NEA forms — whether online via The SCEA or NEA websites or Intranet or offline via traditional, hard copy forms (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
- Other Personal Information that you voluntarily provide to us via the The SCEA/NEA website or Intranet (such as an e-mail address if you subscribe to an THE SCEA/NEA-produced electronic newsletter or other personal information contained in an e-mail that you send to us via the feedback feature of the website).
- Personal Information that we receive from our state and local affiliates or other The SCEA/NEA-related organizations (such as your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, social security number, etc.).
- Personal Information that we receive from third parties (such as insurance claim information in connection with NEA Educators Employment Liability Program and publicly available voter registration information).
IV. How We Use That Information
The personal information that The SCEA/NEA collects about you helps us and our state and local affiliates and THE SCEA/NEA-related organizations to efficiently and effectively represent you and provide you with valuable member benefits.
V. Information Sharing
In order to provide you with efficient and effective representation and member benefits, we routinely share all of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with THE SCEA/NEA-related organizations, as well as third parties that perform services on our behalf.
Additionally, we may share any of the personal information that we collect about you, as described in Section III above, with certain third parties that share our interests or as otherwise permitted by law.
VI. Available Choices
Any personal information that you provide to us is voluntary. The SCEA/NEA members may update their personal information at any time. For information on how to contact us, please visit www.thescea.org
If you subscribe to any The SCEA/NEA-produced electronic newsletter, you may cancel your subscription at any time by following the instructions at the bottom of all such newsletters. If you have any problems cancelling such a subscription, please contact us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org%20and%20NEA.org.
California residents have a right under state law to ask entities with whom they have an established business relationship to provide certain information regarding the sharing of personal information for direct marketing purposes during the past year. The SCEA will honor such a request coming from any current or former member or other person who has provided personal information to us in connection with obtaining a product or service—whether residing in California or not. Simply submit a request to us at one of the following addresses: mailto:email@example.com%20and%20NEA.org or THE SCEA/NEA Office of General Counsel, 1201 16th Street, N.W., Washington DC 20036, and we will respond within thirty days of receiving your request.
VIII. Information Security
We maintain administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to: (1) insure the security and confidentiality of your personal information; (2) protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to the security or integrity of such information; and (3) protect against unauthorized access to or use of such information. For more information on our information security, contact NEA at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org%20and%20NEA.org to request a copy of the NEA Information Security Program.
IX. Additional Information for Users of The SCEA Web Site or Intranet
- Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you use The SCEA website or Intranet,you provide us with certain non-personal information in addition to any personal information that you may voluntarily provide. For example, if you browse The SCEA website or Intranet or download information, our operating system automatically records the following non-personal information:
- The Internet domain for your Internet service (such as "xcompany.com" or "xcompany.net" if you use a private Internet access account, or "your college.edu" if you connect from a college or university domain);
- The type of browser that you use (such as "America Online version 7" or "Microsoft Internet Explorer 5");
- The type of operating system that you use (such as Windows or Macintosh);
- The date and time that you visit the THE SCEA/NEA website or THE SCEA/NEA Intranet and the web pages that you view;
- The address of the previous website that you visited if you linked to us from another website; and
- The address of the next website that you visit if you link to it from the THE SCEA/NEA website or THE SCEA/NEA Intranet.
We use the above non-personal information to diagnose technical problems and track user interests so that we can provide content that interests you.
We gather this non-personal information in the aggregate and we share it in the same manner that we share personal information, as described in Section V above.
- Discussion Forums
If you participate in a discussion forum on The SCEA website or Intranet, your comments, along with any personal information that you voluntarily disclose, may be collected, used, and shared by anyone with access to that forum. We are not responsible for the personal information that you choose to submit in a discussion forum.
The SCEA website and Intranet are general websites, and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children under the age of 13.
- External Links
Acceptance of Terms
Description of Service
Through our sites, we strive to provide users — our members and friends of public education -- with access to a rich array of educational resources. We hope you find our sites useful. We reserve the right to modify, suspend, or discontinue our sites, or any part of them, at any time, for any reason without prior notice to you. You agree that we shall not be liable for any such modification, suspension, or discontinuance.
If you choose to become a registered user of our sites, you agree to provide us with true, accurate, and current registration information and to update your registration information to keep it that way.
Please keep your user ID and password confidential. You agree to accept sole responsibility for all activities that occur using your password.
As a condition of using our sites, you agree not to use our sites, among other things, to:
- impersonate any person or entity, including but not limited to an official of The SCEA or its affiliates, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, or other materials (hereinafter referred to as "Content") transmitted through our sites;
- harm minors in any way;
- harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress, unwanted attention, or discomfort to a person or entity;
- transmit or otherwise make available any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable, as solely determined by The SCEA;
- transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party;
- transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited advertising, promotional information, bulk e-mail or other solicitation;
- transmit or otherwise make available any Content containing any "virus," "worm," "trojan horse," or any other computer code, file, or program designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
- interfere with or disrupt our sites or servers or networks connected to our sites, or disobey any requirements or policies of networks connected to our sites; or
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.
You further agree that this list is not intended to be complete, but merely illustrative. We reserve the right in our sole and final judgment to determine whether certain conduct violates this User Conduct Section.
By submitting Content to us for inclusion on our sites, an electronic mailing list, a message board, or otherwise, you represent and warrant that:
- you own all the legal rights to the Content that you submit,
- our publication of the Content will not infringe any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary right of any party, and
- you have complied with the TOU.
You also grant The SCEA, our affiliates, NEA Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Members Insurance Trust, NEA Health Information Network, and NEA Foundation:
- a nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, and fully sub-licensable right to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, and display such Content throughout the world in any medium, and
- the right to use the name and contact information that you submit in connection with such Content, if we so choose. You agree that you will not be compensated for any Content you submit to our sites unless expressly contracted in writing to do so.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless The SCEA, NEA, our affiliates, NEA Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Members Insurance Trust, NEA Health Information Network, and NEA Foundation, and each entity’s respective officers, directors, employees, agents, and partners from and against any claim or demand, including attorneys' fees, made by any third party in connection with:
- any Content that you transmit or otherwise make available via our sites,
- your use of our sites,
- your connection to our sites, or
- your violation of the TOU.
You agree that we may, in our sole discretion, terminate your use of our sites for any reason, including but not limited to a violation of the TOU, without prior notice to you. You also agree that we shall not be liable for any termination of access to our sites.
Dealings with Advertisers
To defray the costs associated with providing our sites, we may sell advertising space on our sites. We do not examine or evaluate the products, services, or offerings of advertisers found on our sites. Accordingly, we do not warrant any products, services, or offerings of, such advertisers. Your correspondence or dealings with such advertisers are solely between you and the advertiser. You agree that we shall not be held liable for any loss or damage incurred as a result of any such correspondence or dealings.
Third-Party Content and Services
Because we provide a variety of resources on our sites, it is necessary for us to use third parties to contribute Content and offer services. Any Content or services made available by third parties on our sites are those of the respective authors and not of The SCEA. The SCEA neither endorses nor is responsible for the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of such Content or services.
The terms in the TOU do not apply to any Web sites that are linked from our sites ("linked-sites"). These linked-sites will have their own policies and practices that may be different from ours. You understand and agree that we are not responsible for the operation of any linked-site, and does not endorse nor is responsible for any Content, services, or advertising on linked-sites. You agree that we shall not be held liable for any loss or damage incurred as a result of such Content, services, or advertising.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
YOU AGREE THAT:
A. YOUR USE OF OUR SITES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS-IS" OR "AS-AVAILABLE" BASIS. The SCEA EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NONINFRINGEMENT.
B. The SCEA MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT:
THE CONTENT AVAILABLE VIA OUR SITES IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE, OR CORRECT;
OUR SITES WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION;
THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR THE MATERIAL PURCHASED OR OBTAINED BY YOU THROUGH OUR SITES WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS;
THAT ANY DEFECTS OR ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED; AND
CONTENT AVAILABLE VIA OUR SITES IS FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, CERTAIN EXCLUSIONS IN THIS SECTION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
YOU AGREE THAT THE SCEA, NEA, OUR AFFILIATES, NEA MEMBER BENEFITS CORPORATION, NEA MEMBERS INSURANCE TRUST, NEA HEALTH INFORMATION NETWORK, AND NEA FOUNDATION, AND EACH ENTITY'S RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, AGENTS, AND PARTNERS SHALL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, OUR SITES. THIS LIMITATION APPLIES WHETHER THE SCEA/NEA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES AND WHETHER THE ALLEGED LIABILITY IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, OR ANY OTHER BASIS. BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN DAMAGES, CERTAIN LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Unless otherwise indicated, the Content displayed on our sites is the property of The SCEA/THE SCEA/NEA, our affiliates, NEA Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Members Insurance Trust, NEA Health Information Network, NEA Foundation, third-party providers, or their respective licensors and is protected by copyright, trademark and other laws. Any such Content may be displayed solely for your personal, non-commercial use. You agree not to reproduce, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, display, retransmit, or sell such Content without the prior written permission of the respective owner. The SCEA logo are service marks of The SCEA. You may not display or use such service marks in any manner without prior written permission from The SCEA.
Choice of Law
You agree that the laws of South Carolina shall govern the TOU and any disputes relating to our sites.
The TOU constitutes the entire agreement between you and The SCEA governing your use of our sites and supersedes any prior agreements, if any, between you and The SCEA relating to any matter dealt with in the TOU. You may also be subject to additional terms that apply when you deal with advertisers or use links or third-party Content or services.
If you have any questions or comments regarding the TOU, please contact us.
Updated July 6, 2011